Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MaxPayne3.exe
2. Update Microsoft DirectX
- last DirectX download page
3. Update PhysicX:
- last PhysicX download page
4. Test for Anti-Virus/Security conflicts
Temporarily disabling antivirus/security, then uninstalling if that doesn’t work just to test (we recommend using a different antivirus such as Microsoft Security Essentials during the tests to make sure you are safe)
6. Set Compatability mode on MaxPayne3.exe
- right click on MaxPayne3.exe file -> properties -> compatability tab -> select Windows XP -> press OK button
7. Try run the game as an administrator – right click on MaxPayne3.exe file -> select “Run as administrator”
Disable UAC (User Account Controls) and run the game as Administrator
Turn off UAC:
- Open Control Panel
- Select User Accounts
- Select ‘Change User Account Control Settings’
- Change the slider to Never Notify
For further information on User Account Control configuration, see:
Please note that Administrator rights are required to install and run the game. Please ensure any User accounts used to play the game have full Administrator rights. In Windows 7, you may need to right-click the game and choose Run as Administrator.
If you are not logged in with administrator rights on your PC, you may receive a “Run As” pop-up message in Windows XP. To continue, you may need to un-check “Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity.”
For more information about Windows administrator accounts, please see:
Running Steam as an Administrator:
- Locate the Steam Shortcut on your desktop or within your start menu.
- Right Click on the shortcut and select ‘Run as Administrator’
Make sure you are launching the game correctly
For the Steam version, make sure you are using the Steam play button, or make sure to have Steam active before double-clicking the game icon. If you launch the MaxPayne3.exe when Steam is not active, the game will not work.
8. Install Social Club manually if needed on Steam
c: programfiles/steam/steamapps/common/max payne 3/mp3_installers/Social Club v184.108.40.206
Then make sure it is installed in the correct location:
- 64-bit Systems: Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Social Club
- 32-bit systems: Program Files\Rockstar Games\Social Club
Check for registry entry
Some players have experienced an issue where Max Payne 3 registry key is missing or pointing to the wrong spot. Only perform this troubleshooting if you are comfortable editing your registry. If you do not want to edit the registry, try reinstalling to a file path with no spaces. If you are are experienced with PCs, some users have reported an unconfirmed fix that involves renaming the installation folder to get rid of the spaces and then editing the registry key.
9. If this steps not help, APPCRASH can happen because the game is cracked. Very often crack conflict with Windows system process or Antivirus software. In this case, you will only purchase a license key. After enter the activation key in Official Steam or Origin Client – game downloaded automatically. In this case, developer guarantees the work of the game.